Following are some Q&A’s on general issues from the Mold Avoiders group, with answers supplied by Lisa Petrison.
Q. Have you encountered many people who were only moderately reactive to mold? What is the best way for them to move toward recovery?
The Mold Avoiders group has been more focused on people who have started out as more severely affected, with a high percentage having been disabled from ME/CFS, Lyme or similar conditions. And those people are virtually all severe reactors, from what I have seen.
In some cases, of course, these people do not realize that they are severely reactive because they are not unmasked. I thus would not suggest that people assume that they are not severely reactive prior to investigating through a mold avoidance sabbatical.
In some cases I have seen people who were disabled who were severely reactive only to certain mold supertoxins but who were able to be around small amounts of regular mold toxins without being appreciably affected, however.
People who are affected by mold but not so severely that they were not able to work usually are more moderate reactors. Traditionally, to my understanding, Shoemaker’s practice focused on those people, accounting for why his protocols were helpful to them even though they were not pursuing very scrupulous avoidance.
There are a few people, in addition to Erik and me, who have moved from being severely reactive to moderately reactive. That does take a lot of time and work though.
Q. What therapies have you personally found helpful in moving toward recovery?
I will break this down into three parts: early avoidance (after moving out of a problem home and putting aside all possessions); effective avoidance (after learning how to get really clear of mold toxins and spending most of my time in really pristine places); and late avoidance (after my mold reactivity went down).
I will list therapies for each time in rough order of apparent importance.
Acquiring a mission and sense of purpose with regard to why I wanted to heal also was very important. In addition, without hyperbaric oxygen therapy, I would likely have become permanently blind in one eye due to what appears to have been a CMV infection experienced during the second period of time.
1. Mold avoidance
2. Vitamin C IV’s
3. Avoiding reactive foods
4. Doxycycline (possibly helpful)
1. Mold avoidance
3. Natrum sulphuricum (1M, Hahneman brand, 1/2 dram)
4. Neural therapy
5. Sweating through exercise, hot springs or heat
6. Bodywork (reflexology, craniosacral, massage, yoga)
7. Coffee enemas
8. Activated folate, B12, zinc, selenium, P-5-P, lithium, other nutrients
9. High-dose oral vitamin C
10. Antivirals (Valcyte and Famvir)
1. Avoidance of mold supertoxins
2. EDTA suppositories (Medicardium brand)
3. Modified citrus pectin (EcoNugenics PectasolC brand)
4. Ionic foot detox machine (Ionize Me brand)
5. Very high-quality, nutrient-dense, organic diet
6. Juicing (including Gerson therapy)
7. High-dose orally and rectally administered essential oils (wild oregano, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, tangerine, lemon, grapefruit, orange, bergamot, peppermint, spearmint, wormwood, garlic)
8. Parasite herbs (including pumpkin seed oil and garlic)
9. Large amounts of fermented foods
10. High-dose probiotics
11. Coffee enemas
12. Near infrared sauna
13. Ozone therapy
15. Zinc and other minerals
16. Betaine Hcl acid
17. Epsom salts baths
Links on this page are in orange (no underlining).